Note: For the Corvallis Declaration of Community Rights and other declarations, click here. This page contains a draft document for the Marion County Community Rights steering committee as per committee membership requirements.
We the undersigned declare that:
- Natural and human communities and persons exist independently from and thus sovereign to structures of human law and governance.
- Legitimate structures of human law and governance exist only through the democratic consent of natural and human communities and persons.
- Business entities exist for specific purpose as artificial creatures of and subject to human laws and governance, limited to the responsibilities and privileges that persons, communities and nature bestow upon such entities directly through democratic process or indirectly through legitimate governments and structures of law.
- Nature exists for a purpose greater than just human use, and nature has an inherent and inalienable right to exist and flourish.
- All persons have inherent and inalienable rights that no law or government shall directly or indirectly violate.
- Natural and human communities have an inherent and inalienable right to local self-governance and self-determination in the service of pursuing and protecting their health, safety and welfare.
- As inherently artificial creatures, business entities can never be “persons,” “communities” or “nature” and therefore do not have any rights, inherent or otherwise.
- Natural and human communities and persons have an ethical (but not legal) responsibility as rights-bearing agents to define, assert, exercise and defend their inherent and inalienable rights, through democratic process where possible.
- All structures of human law and governance have an inherent responsibility and primary purpose to recognize, support and protect the inherent and inalienable rights of natural and human communities and persons.
- Natural and human communities and persons must correct structures of human law and governance wherever they stand in conflict with the previous nine items of declaration to maintain the democratic legitimacy of laws and governments.
Therefore, the people of Marion County shall convene Delegates to draft a Community Bill of Rights defining inherent and inalienable rights of nature, people and places, and shall assert those rights through democratic process to become local law.
Sign this declaration [coming soon!]